Friday, December 14, 2007

Socking It

I couldn’t come up with what to write today. Totally stuck. So Jessica’s sock MEME was a perfect savior…

1. What’s your favorite sock yarn? (please note that the word ‘yarn’ is singular. Just pick one. I know it’s hard.)
Since I haven’t gotten to play with too many sock yarns yet, I’ve got to pick the Spunky Eclectic sock yarn I’m using for the Mangotinis. It’s just a lot of fun, and the color is great. Plus, it feels like it will be really soft to wear (which is a bit thing for me).

Cabletini 11

2. What’s your favorite type and brand of sock needle?
I used to be an Addi circs girl. Then I got some Harmony double points. I have a very hard time going back… the Harmony’s (how do you make a brand name a plural? Harmonys? Harmonies?) are hands down my favorite. They even give you an extra needle because “accidents happen” to wood needles.

3. Do you knit your socks toe up, cuff down, or sideways?
Usually toe-up, but some of the best patterns I’ve found lately are cuff-down, and I don’t mind it as much as I used to.

4. Do you knit both socks at once or just one at a time?
One at a time. Never tried it any other way.

5. What’s your favorite toe and why?
I like the Turkish cast on. It just seems to work best for me. Though, I will admit to being easily amused by grafted toes. They’re a lot of fun.

6. Favorite heel?
Flap heel with slipped stitches. I like the cushiness. Next heel I do is going to be an eye of partridge heel, because it looks neat. We’ll see if I like that one.

7. Do you prefer plain or patterned socks?
Patterned. Plain stockinette is too boring.

Cabletini 04

8. Who do you knit the most socks for?
I’ve not knit many pairs yet, but most of them have been/will be for me. I think Mom is the next closest, though, because I know how much she appreciates them.

9. Do you darn your socks? If not, what do you do with them?
Haven’t had to yet… and it will eventually depend on the sock. Some I don’t think I will bother with, while others I will save as long as knitterly possible.

10. Do you only wear handknit socks?
Nope. I don’t knit fast enough for that.

Bonus question: What pattern, if any, is your basic “I-just-need-a-pair-of-socks” sock pattern based on? Do you keep it written down or memorized?
Don’t have one. I would rather just jot down notes on a 3×5 card and slip that in with the sock. I have no problem referring to a pattern for knitting - keeps it interesting.