Sunday, January 7, 2007

Week 1

The Vagina Monologues
by Eve Ensler
(non-fiction)

I read this book because my boyfriend wanted to discuss it with me. (We talk about lots of things, and have some really great conversations. Lots of depth. Very nice... but off track. Sorry.) I had seen it (and the video of the performance) on the library shelves for a long time, and always avoided it. I figured that it would be written merely for the shock value, that the whole point would be to see how many times "vagina" would show up in the book.

I am pleased to report that I was - partly - wrong. There is a shock value to the book, and after reading the introduction I understand why. There is still much sexual repression and misunderstanding, and the author wants to change that. However, I was expecting a more graphic and, well, icky book. This is well done, with enough shock to get the point across, and yet not so much that I was ever tempted to stop reading. It's almost poetry.

I would rate this a good read, though not a must read. I plan to watch the (taped) performance as well, as I think that it might be better seen than read.