Monday, September 24, 2007

Fill In The Blanks

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
~ Jules de Gaultier

~*~

So, last week I mentioned my various packages and showed off pictures of yarn. Today, I don’t have pictures, but I can tell you about my new package of books. We shall do this in a blog-reader interactive style post today, just for kicks.

Fill in the blanks (circle one):

I was ____________ and joined the Writer’s Digest Book Club.

  1. silly
  2. responsible
  3. impulsive

The books I got _________________.

  1. show that I’m serious about writing
  2. make some interesting statements about me
  3. are cause for concern

Buying research books rather than looking the topics up online or at the library is good because _____________.

  1. it supports the writing industry
  2. hard copies in your own private library ensure the best access to information at all hours
  3. it’s harder to trace questionable research

(And, a Suzy picture for those of you who skim blog posts looking for the kitty…)

Suzy & Stash 01

The human mind treats a new idea the same way the body treats a strange protein; it rejects it.
~ P. B. Medawar

So, the books that I actually did get were the following:

Roget’s Super Thesaurus, 3rd Edition. - A good, basic reference book that I don’t didn’t have a copy of.

The Writer’s Guide to Places. - Since my travel budget isn’t as large as I would like, I decided that this was a good - if sadly homebound - alternative.

Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy. - (by Orson Scott Card) Ever since I’d read this one as a library book, I’d intended to buy it. Now is as good a time as any.

Howdunnit: A Book Of Poisons. - The book (of this bunch) that I am the most interested in, and the one that I ran from room to room, showing off with eyes aglow once the package was opened. It has all sorts of information about poisons, including the natural kind and the man-made kind. It talks about things from arsenic to hemlock, from snake venom (and many kinds) to spider bites.

My parents had very mixed reactions to me running up to them and saying, “I got a book on poisons!” My mom nabbed the book and started flipping through it, lingering on the plants section of the book. (Don’t plant lily of the valley if you have people in the house who put things in their mouths. That stuff is very deadly. Like, ‘don’t bother with an antidote because it works so fast’ deadly.) My dad, on the other hand, gave me a strange look and started teasing me. I’m still not 100% sure that he knows what to make of this writer-thing I’ve become. :D

Suzy & Stash 04

She really liked my yarn-shoot. She thought it was a kitty-play-fest.