Saturday, September 8, 2007

Week 36 ~ Night Pleasures

Week 36 ~ Sept 3-9, 2007

Night Pleasures

by Sherrilyn Kenyon
(urban fantasy, paranormal romance)

This is one of the Dark Hunter books, and while I think it's the first actually about a Dark-Hunter, Fantasy Lover does precede it in the world Kenyon has created. (The main characters from FL show up again in NP as supporting cast.)

I enjoyed the book. It was fun to read, with nothing that jumped out at me as a 'flaw' until the end of the final battle. And even then, it's not so much that there was anything 'wrong' with the book, more that some important stuff happened off-screen (in order to keep the reader guessing, I presume) and we got shoved exclusively into the hero's head instead of flowing back and forth between the hero and the heroine. (Actually, the POV shifted too often to fit my personal preferences. I like a tighter focus in third-person-POV, and I like it to be obvious when the focus changes. Some kind of visual break is what I prefer.)

The sex scenes were okay. I didn't roll my eyes at the positions, and only chuckled at the language a teeny bit. They weren't as steamy as I find some other authors (such as Kresley Cole) to be, but they were quite adequate.

The character development worked for me, too, though I would have liked to see more of Amanda's (the heroine) family and their oddness for myself. We're told about a lot of strange things that they do, but very little of it happens on screen. This wasn't necessary to the plot, but it would have been fun.