Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Suzy Bluezy

The man who doesn’t read good books has no advantage over the man who can’t read them.
~Mark Twain

~*~

So, first thing’s first: a preview. I’ve been working on the world for the story I’m going to do for NaNo, and I’ve been working on the doily that I rescued from the hibernation pile. For details and pictures, keep reading…

Freedom is just Chaos, with better lighting.
~Alan Dean Foster

Berka Blues 01

This is the doily I found and rescued. It had been sitting around, neglected, for who knows how long. I do know that I didn’t start it in 2007. Beyond that, I have no idea.

Berka Blues 02

But it’s a fun one. It’s the same pattern as the one I made my grandma for her 80th birthday. It’s a “Berka Shells” doily from Southmaid Timeless Doilies to Crochet (that’s a link to Ravelry, if you’re in). This one is done in a variegated blue crochet cotton. It’s fun, though I do usually prefer doilies to be in a solid color. The color changes don’t usually work with things worked in the round. But, this one is okay. Not my favorite color for the pattern, but still fun.

Berka Blues 04

Suzy likes it, too.

Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.
~Dandemis

In the writing world, I have been world- and language-building for the story I am going to write for NaNo. It’s fun, so far. I’ve been using Holly Lisle’s Create a Plot and Create a Language Clinics, and they are working wonderfully. So far I have not gotten much of the plot worked up, but I have enough for the moment - especially since I want the language barrier to be part of the plot conflicts. Also, I’ve noticed (from my limited experience with language-building and from what Holly has said) that the way a language works can give you insights into your culture.

Berka Blues 05

(Suzy really likes it. She likes it so much she tries to steal it.)