Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Evasion

Where we have strong emotions, we’re liable to fool ourselves.
- Carl Sagan

~*~

There has been progress on the first Mangotini sock, but sadly it eluded the camera all weekend and so there are no new pictures of it. There has also been progress on the Swan Lake Stole (formerly the Mystery Stole 3), which also eluded the camera. The sock is past the heel (barely) and the stole is some few rows past the beginning of Clue #3.

It’s progress-central around my house, actually, because I’ve been getting work done on CP also. Not as much as I would like, but enough to satisfy for the moment. I’m doing a combo world-build and outline for this one. I know the basic idea for the story quite well: spaceship crashes on uncharted planet due to sabotage, sole survivor falls in love with one of the natives, HEA. And I know some of the twists and turns that the story will take to make the relatively standard basic plot more interesting. The fun part for the early stages of this project, for me, has been building the world as I discover what’s needed.

I think that Holly Lisle said that she’s lately taken to only building her world as she discovers the world’s needs, and that seems to work for me (at least in this instance). In the past I’ve gotten way bogged down with building anything that could possibly be needed for the story, and then was bored enough with the world that I still haven’t finished (or started, in one case) the actual writing. This way I have some room for exploration left as I learn more about the characters.

Also, I’ve been using a program that was pointed out to me by Diane Duane, called TiddlyWiki. It’s kind of like your very own Wikipedia for your project. And since you save it on your hard drive (or jump drive, or - if you still have one - floppy drive) it’s still secure. (Or, at least, as secure as anything else on your computer.) It’s neat, though, because you can reference different things within your notes with hot links, just like Wiki does. (Or blogs do, for that matter.) It seems to be a great way to organize a digital journal for a project, because you don’t have to hunt everywhere for where you wrote about that little detail - you just link to it so you can click on it later. Seems to be working great for me.

Anyway, that’s it for today I think. Sorry for the lack of pictures. Maybe I’ll sprinkle some in tomorrow (if the knits consent to pose for photographs). This week Jess over at Tudor’s Desk is having a series of posts on writing and depression, so if you suffer from either of those (depression or the writing bug) you may want to head over to her site and check it out.

Have a great short work week!