Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Eagles and Bobcats and Monkeys - Oh My!

You cannot make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position you can make a crowd of men.
- Max Beerbohm

Sheep! My quote of the day said "sheep"! :)

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Before I post my knitting pictures for the day, I want to point your attention to a very deserving local (for me) wildlife rescue group. The group is called WERC (Wildlife Education & Rehabilitation Center) and they work to get wild animals rehabilitated and re-released into the wild.

They have a program where they care for baby bobcats while wearing surrogate bobcat mommy costumes so that the cats don't start thinking of humans as mommy. They release injured birds once they are strong enough to care for themselves. The typical animals they care for are ones who have been injured, like by moving cars or even - sadly - humans themselves.

The WERC website says, "We at W.E.R.C. seek not to interfere in the laws of nature or in the tide of human expansion , but simply to lend a helping hand to assist nature in evening up the survival odds of displaced native wildlife."

I sent them money this month. I will be sending them money again, and if you have need of a good charity to support, I urge you to consider them.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Alright. And now the real reason you're (probably) here - the knitting!

Mini Monkeys 10

Monkey #1 is off the needles. Yay! Monkey #2 is on, and past the cuff. I have just barely started the Monkey pattern. But, it's a start.

I love the way this sock fits, and it works well in this yarn (TOFUtsies) as well. There are periodic issues with the yarn splitting, but it feels nice enough on the foot that I don't think I care about a slight splittiness.

Also, for this second sock, in addition to Cara's Mini Monkey modifications, I used a provisional cast-on. This made the picot edging a LOT easier. I think that I read somewhere else that this was a good way to start a picot edge, but I forget where and so can't give credit where it's due.

Happy Tuesday!

Mini Monkeys 11