Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Week 28 ~ Girl Genius #1

Week 28 ~ July 9-15

Girl Genius Collection #1

by Phil Foglio

(graphic novel, sci-fi)
(Online comics available here.)

This is an amusing story, with enjoyable art. It's funny, it's nicely drawn, it's complex, and I like it. The story is planned well, too, and I find it highly addictive (as a good comic should be). I like the main characters, boo the villains, and get pleasantly surprised at plot twists. (Not always pleasant twists... but they are surprises, which is the pleasant part.)

The link above will take you to a site where you can read the comic online, with a lot of back-issues to catch up on. The first collection is actually the first several (forget how many) panels which are printed on the web, but I like the series enough to want to support the author and so I bought it. The book quality is nice too; while not the best made graphic novel I own (the cover is a little funny - though it could be that it got slightly munched in transit), it's better than some off-the-shelf paperbacks. And the quality of the art inside is great.

Anyway, I'm finding it hard to do a proper review of a graphic novel, so I'll stop now.