Monday, June 25, 2007

Socks and Suzy

Advertising may be described as the science of arresting the human intelligence long enough to get money from it.
~Stephen Leacock
And for me, just show me something pretty or let me feel something with a great texture and I'm likely to be sold, if I can justify the purchase at all. Like... YARN! Whee!

The TOFUtsies yarn was so soft when I bought it that I got two skeins right away, without testing it at all first. And while it's a bit splitty at times, it makes a fabric so soft and fun that it's worth it. (Just be careful which cast on you use, because it does have a tendency to un-ply itself if you use a long-tail cast on.)

Here is the current progress of the first Summer of Socks sock pair:

Mini Monkeys 06

One nice thing about starting socks at the top and working your way down is that foot-modeled socks look better this way than toe-up. But... does anyone who's been following my socks preferences notice anything about this sock? It has two of my previously disliked features: it is cuff-down, and knit on dpns. And yet I love it. Go figure. I guess knitting preferences change just like anything else. (Though it could just be the pattern or the yarn or the combination.)

Mini Monkeys 05

Hedgie's still trying to do his duty as a sock model, but it's harder with cuff-down socks. They don't make quite as nice a cave.

Suzy, on the other hand, does not play nice with socks. Look how ferocious she is! The attack-cat in action!

Attack Cat 02

Rawr!