Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Week 24 ~ Dhampir

Week 24 ~ June 11-17, 2007

Dhampir
by Barb & JC Hendee
(fantasy)

This is an enjoyable book, even on a re-read. I had read it a while back, liked it, and then forgotten much about it. And so when the latest book in the series came out not too long ago, I knew the authors sounded familiar but couldn't figure out why. Eventually I got it - but since I remembered so little about the first book (other than "it's good") I decided to read it again.

It's an enjoyable book, and I like the way the main characters aren't the most perfect people in the world at the start of the book. I like their struggle for redemption and a normal life. I also like the way that the antagonists aren't stereotypically evil, either. The hero roles blend a bit in this book, getting a little gray around the edges. That makes it all the more real to me.

I look forward to reading the next book in the series, and will likely continue from there. The ending is open enough that there is plenty of room to continue, and the characters only got more enjoyable as the book went on. Hopefully this will prove true over the entire series.

Oh - and though this is a vampire book, it's not overly gory. It's also not over-sexed the way many vamp books are these days. So it's safe for even non-romance-readers.