Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Week 34 ~ Knitting Rules!

Week 34 ~ Aug 20-26, 2007

Knitting Rules!
by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
(non-fiction, knitting humor)

This is a highly amusing book. In it, Stephanie (aka the Yarn Harlot) tells stories and anecdotes about knitting, and life in general. I laughed a lot. It was very funny.

However, I suspect you will find it less funny than I unless you are also a knitter, or live with a knitter. Stash enhancement, for example, means a lot less to those who neither have nor desire a stash. And jokes about garter stitch scarves are only funny (or tortuous) if you have ever tried to knit something 4 feet long in garter stitch.

In addition to the humor, Stephanie includes some basic pattern "recipes" for hats, socks, shawls and scarves. She gives a break-down of the gauge rule, and why you should follow it. And she explains the Evil Sweater Curse.

I really think I need to buy this book. But to pass on the recommendation? I can only suggest it to you if you already understand at least a little bit of the knitting lingo. It even begins with a disclaimer:

If you picked up this book, I probably don't need to convince you that knitting is great. ...