Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Writing Weds ~ 8.29.07

Well, it's that time of month again. The time where I look at my writing goals, and determine where I have fallen short. This month - though I haven't finished quite everything on my list - is the first in a long time when I actually feel a sense of accomplishment.

Let's see: the list had three things on it.

  1. Do 2 (+2 added mid-month, for a total of 4) OWG crits.
  2. Crit up to page 100 of AD for Phoenix.
  3. Work up a line-for-scene set of plot cards for SS.

I have done the first two. I did not do the third - and I am not going to for a while.

I have been rather lacking in enthusiasm for SS for some time now, and so have been putting it off. I had been thinking of that as a lack of enthusiasm for writing in general. However, when it was mentioned in my online crit group that there was a new line that was holding a contest which could result in publication, I was interested. I looked at the requirements, and realized (slowly and happily and excitedly) that one of the ideas which has been bounding around in my head for years now would fit the contest much better than SS. In fact, they seem almost made for each other.

So, I have committed to that project. It is code-named CP, and will only be referred to as that until something resembling an actual title appears. (This particular code, unlike SS, has no bearing on titles. This code is there only because I needed something to identify the project, preferably something that would have a meaning for me.)

Last night I worked up around 10 pages of notes and scene ideas in around 2-3 hours. I haven't done anything like that in a long time.

It is good to be writing again. And this time, my writing isn't an escape from a bad relationship. It is merely having a story to tell and a desire to tell it. (That was a part of it before, but the drive to write came not from the desire the way it does now. Anyway, all of that is a long story, and yes, I am emotionally over it, but no, I don't want to talk about it. Not here, anyway, and not now.)

Hope all is well with you!