Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Week 18 ~ Spin to Knit

Week 18 ~ Apr 30-May 6, 2007

Spin to Knit

by Shannon Okey
(non-fiction)

Well, this is a bit of a different type of book for me to post here. But I read it, and I enjoyed it, and if anyone else shares my hobby interests (which is likely, on this blog), it's well worth recommending.

Spin to Knit basically does what the title says: it shows you some ways to improve your spinning (or learn to spin) to make yarn that is usable when knitting. If you have tried spinning, you know that it's not always easy to get even results that will then work for knitting projects.

I have tried a few of the techniques described in this book, and they were useful. Very nicely described as well, with pictures that are good at demonstrating the steps.

There are also some fun brief bios of the spinners and knitters who helped with the various projects in the book, which are fun to read. And, of course, we have the projects themselves, which have a variety of looks. Some I will eventually try, and others are on my list of "wouldn't be caught dead wearing or even making" items. But that's to be expected when so many people have different ideas of "cool," and it makes for some colorful reading.