Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Week 22 ~ Talyn

Week 22 ~ May 28-June 3, 2007

Talyn

by Holly Lisle
(fantasy)

Talyn is a sweeping tale of love, war, and betrayal. It focuses on honor among enemies, trust, and faith. It will catch you up in the World of the Korre, and won't let you go even after you finish the final page.

This is an amazing book. Holly Lisle is an incredible author, who manages to make fantasy worlds come alive. Her characters have more depth than some real people I know, and the Korre cultures are so much a part of the world that it seems like an actual place you can visit.

I have heard others say that the very beginning of the book was hard to get into, and while I didn't have that problem I suppose I can understand it. However, everyone I have spoken to has been hooked by the story before too long, and I have heard nothing but praise for Talyn. If I have a problem with it, it is that the story catches you up and won't let you go, but is too long to easily finish while still allowing yourself to get any sleep. I would have trimmed it a bit, though I'm not sure what to have edited out and yet still kept the tale's impact. All told, though, it's a wonderful book.